Saturday 2 April 2011

The Joys of being Older and Fashion...

Here is one of the best things about being older  that I really like, I don't have to pretend to like things to be trendy and fashionable.
Imagine the freedom that brings ... just for one moment savour what it is like to look at something so completely ridiculous and say "WTF!"

In my youth we wore ridiculous things and called them fashionable, things that my parents would look at and shake their heads in disbelief. And, although I too felt silly in them, youth forced me to defend them and view my parents as fossils of a bygone era with no 'Street Cred' and no understanding of youth culture.

Now I realize I just looked like a child of my era, a bit naff (although incredibly sophisticated at the same time of course :0))
I grew up in the East End of London and was a child of the eighties wearing 'Choose Life' t-shirts and 'Frankie says RELAX', teaming them up with Ra-ra dresses and Puff Ball skirts ala Pepsi and Shirley.
Micheal Jackson's glove and moonwalk were the ultimate fashion accessory with a little bit of purple from Prince.
Never got into ripping badges off cars though and wearing a clock round my neck, but did wear huge trainers and skin tight Lycra dresses ala Neneh Cherry.



We were definitely innocent back then I think, and, (here is me showing my age), not like it is today. I've watched the low risers get lower and the children showing flesh get younger and I wonder if I was the same or whether things really have changed for the worse. I've seen people having to put their hands in their pockets just to keep their jeans from falling down, and hobbling to walk - what kind of fashion is that?
I can understand my parents dismay now at things changing and not necessarily for the better, and I am glad to have my distance now and know that I too have gone though youth's rose tinted glasses and survived.

Leaving you now until next time with my other influences, New Romantics ....

No comments:

Post a Comment